Notes of the meeting between KwaZulu-Natal Traditional Healers and African Traditional Medicine Supporters Initiative (ATHMSI), at the Traditional Medicine Laboratory, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban
27 July 2017
KwaZulu-Natal, Ethekwini District
- Mr. Hlongwane (District Chairman)
- Mrs. Kakayo – Chairman, Traditional Healers Organisation
- Mr. Cele – Chairman, Vukuzenzele
- Mr. Khanyile – Chair, NUPHATSA
African Traditional Medicine Supporters Initiative (ATHMSI
- Prof. Adewunmi
- Prof. Ojewole
- Prof. Gqaleni led the welcoming and introductions.
- He then handed over to the representatives of ATHMSI to lead the discussion.
- Prof. Adewunmi made a presentation on the work of ATHMSI with an indication that they would be willing to do the same in KZN if invited.
- It was followed by a question and answer session which was led by Prof Ojewole.
- A long discussion ensued where the traditional healers wanted to understand the Nigerian situation regarding Traditional Medicine and its practice.
- The meeting was adjourned for a short time to allow the KZN parties to caucus.
- When they returned they indicated that they would welcome ATHMSI to conduct some workshops but they would need to be adapted to the local situation, involve local traditional healers in presentations.
- There will be a need to find some resources to transport the Professors and accommodate them for the period they will be in KZN.
- The meeting closed with a photo session.
Download notes of the meeting between KwaZulu